Friday

Was She Pretty? by Leanne Shapton


What a loaded question. If there's one thing to take away from this book, it's that you should never ask this one. Was she pretty? Of course she was.


The book is a series of very short bios, usually one or two sentences about an ex. For example, "Katya's boyfriend never stopped sending her postcards" or "Isaac would not let Rebecca answer the telephone in his apartment." Mini stories on one side of the page, sketches on the other.


I can't decide if this would be a great book or a depressing book to read right after a break up. Maybe both. And maybe that's why the detatched sweetness of the book is so effective.
It leads me to think of several questions that you should never ask someone you are dating.
1. Was your last girlfriend pretty?
Well, there are only two real answers to that. Yes, which I would hope because don't we at least try to date people who are attractive? And No, which means that I don't date attractive people, which says something not nice about you. Either answer is not helping anyone feel better.
2. Where did you get that picture/blanket/keychain/shirt and so on?
Are you asking because you want to get the same one? No? Then let's not ask because I like this picture/blanket/keychain/shirt and so on, so don't make me get rid of it and be unhappy or fight to keep it and be unhappy.
3. Was it like this before...at...you know?
This is the lady equivalent of, "Was he bigger or smaller downstairs?" Again, neither answer is really satisfying. Besides, don't ask me to compare past, 18 year-old sex, which came at a time when boners were more common than old gum mashed on the sidewalk, to current. That's not fair to anyone, especially my peep.
Maybe we should just stick to statements.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Cover My Ass Time: This is all happening in a magical, fictional universe. Any resemblance to anything ever is strictly the product of a weak imagination, for which I apologize.