Tuesday

Chasing the White Dog by Max Watman



Number one, if you're looking for a primer on making booze, look somewhere else.


Okay, now that the drunken DIY'ers are out of the way we can get down to business.


Dog is overall a decent book. It has some definite ups, and Max Watman must be a talented writer as some of the most interesting chapters had to do with Nascar's origins in bootlegging and I have ZERO interest in Nascar. That said, the book doesn't have a very strong focus. There is some history, some rubbing elbows with modern-day legit disitllers, and the whole things ends with a drawn-out trial piece.


My personal opinion: Read the modern-day stuff, read about Max's attempts at moonshining, read about the Nascar parts and Junior Johnson. The rest is, well, mash.
Also, real nice of him to list some great whiskeys and talk about distilleries, but nothing that's even remotely on the cheap side. I'm not saying that you have to stick to bumwines.com, but 70 bucks for a bottle is pushing both my problem areas: cashflow and sobriety.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Cover My Ass Time: This is all happening in a magical, fictional universe. Any resemblance to anything ever is strictly the product of a weak imagination, for which I apologize.