Thursday

Stories by Scott McClanahan

This was a really mixed experience.

The stories were good. Fast-paced, interesting stuff. Very rural, good for fans of Cormac McCarthy or Robert Olmstead.

The bad, and this seems to be more common with self-published and small press books, was that the editing was a little lacking.

It’s kind of a sad situation, really. It feels often like you have to make a choice, Do I read something that is mainstream and well-edited, or do I go outside the norm a little and read something different, but that likely could use a good once-over?

A misspelling here and there doesn’t really bother me. That’s not the issue. The issue is that I think it’s sad that good stories, like these, don’t find a home with a publisher who would give them the care and consideration they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Cover My Ass Time: This is all happening in a magical, fictional universe. Any resemblance to anything ever is strictly the product of a weak imagination, for which I apologize.